Listed in: Activities - Cycling
We have no opening hours information for Neilston, Uplawmoor & Gleniffer Braes Cycling Route
About Neilston, Uplawmoor & Gleniffer Braes Cycling Route
Hilly route along quiet, country roads with one section of busier B-road. One short section is only suitable for mountain bikes although this can easily be avoided if using a road bike.
A wonderful scenic loop makes use of the quiet, country roads in-between Neilston, Uplawmoor and Paisley. There are several steep sections throughout with the roads climbing high above East Renfrewshire providing extraordinary views to as far as Arran, Ailsa Craig, the Campsie Fells and Ben Lomond. Buzzards and Kestrels hunt the rougher grassland.
1. From Neilston Railway Station, turn left onto Station Road and cycle to reach Main Street. Turn left and follow Main Street out of Neilston, passing the Brig o’ Lee stadium. A steepish climb leads onto Uplawmoor Road, which undulates through lovely countryside for 2.5 miles to reach the attractive village of Uplawmoor. Continue through the village to Lochlibo Road (A736).
2. 3.5 miles/5.5km Turn left, then first right onto the B776. Once by Caldwell Golf Course clubhouse, follow a steep climb up the B776 and then turn right onto the quiet Old Barn Road. Here a very steep ascent climbs by Caldwell Tower and up the lower reaches of the Lochliboside Hills (keep an eye out for traffic), with some great views over East Renfrewshire opening out. The gradient eases as the road passes Greenside Farm to reach a fork. Turn left and continue to the B775.
3. 5 miles/8km Turn right and follow the busier B775, traffic can be fast, which provides excellent cycling as it travels easily through exposed countryside, for nearly 4 miles, the road eventually dropping steeply to reach Robertson Car Park. If on a road bike keep on the B775 as it swings right to reach Sergeant’s Law Road. Turn right and climb this steep, single-track road to reach a gate at Point 4. If using an off-road bike, turn right, go through Robertson Car Park, enjoying some remarkable views across Paisley to pick up a rough path. Follow this, as it swings left by a gate, and descend gently to another gate. Go through here and continue through a pocket of woodland to a gate.
4. 9.25 miles/14.75km Once through the gate, turn right onto Sergeant’s Law Road (road bike route continues from here). The quiet road climbs steeply by Sergeant’s Law car park then descends by Sergeant Law Farm. Another stiff rise climbs through wilder countryside for 1.5 miles (with superb views towards Arran) to reach a crossroads at Middleton Farm. Turn left onto Fereneze Road. A minor climb then travels through more fine countryside with the likes of buzzard and kestrel regularly spotted. A steep descent reaches Shillford at the A736.
5. 12.5 miles/20km Turn left then immediately right onto a single-track road, which climbs gradually to reach Uplawmoor road. Turn left and follow the road for 2 miles back into Neilston.
Time: 2.5 Hours
Download the East Renfrewshire Council Cycling Guide which features 10 fantastic routes for all abilities.
Sorry, but we have no upcoming events for Neilston, Uplawmoor & Gleniffer Braes Cycling Route. If you know of an event taking place at Neilston, Uplawmoor & Gleniffer Braes Cycling Route or anywhere else in East Renfrewshire tell us about it
and we'll list it on the website, for free!