Listed in: Attractions - History and Culture • Activities - Walking
We have no opening hours information for The Eaglesham Heritage Trail
About The Eaglesham Heritage Trail
The Eaglesham Heritage Trail was the first project to be undertaken by the Eaglesham & Waterfoot Community Development Trust. It comprises of 12 panels and information boards which start at Polnoon House and end at the St Bridget's Church.
The panels contain photo's, diagrams and text telling the fascinating story of the village from the creation of the planned village, through its textile industry heyday, the crash landing of Rudolph Hess in 1941 to the restoration of the village in the 1960's and 1970's.
Places of interest on the Trail
Built by the Tenth Earl in 1733 as a Hunting Lodge. Restored in 1969 as homes for the elderly.
Memorial acknowledging the work of the Restoration Joint Committee in conserving Eaglesham Village as a listed 'Category A' entity in August 1960, the first entire community in Scotland to be thus recognised.
Eglinton Arms Hotel
Erected in 1835 and served as the Village coaching inn. Extensively redeveloped and refurbished and now trading as the Best Western Eglinton Arms Hotel.
Orry Grain Mill
This corn and barley mill operated from 1822 to 1882 on the Lynn Burn.
Dates to Twelfth Century. Present Church constructed in 1790 by the Eleventh Earl in octagonal shape and remodelled in six-sided form in 1882. When the Planned Village was created in 1769, the Medieval Village based on Montgomery Square was demolished. In the Planned Village layout what is now called Montgomery Square was then named High Street.
Erected to commemorate the killing of Robert Lockhart and Gabriel Thomson by the Highland Dragoons after attending a religious Conventicle on 1 May 1685.
Statue House Museum
Contains six life-size statues created in the 1840s by a local joiner and sculptor.
The Planned Village
Alexander, Tenth Earl established the Planned Village of Eaglesham in the form of an A - South (Montgomery) Street, North (Polnoon) Street and Mid Road. Generally considered to be one of the most attractive planned villages in Scotland.
Orry Cotton Mill
Considered to have been built on 1791 by Archibald, Eleventh Earl. At peak employed over 200. Boasted the largest water wheel in Scotland - diameter 45 feet. Caught fire in 1876 and never reopened.
There is a long-standing Eaglesham tradition that Moat, or Moot Hill, was used for judicial and local assemblies in medieval times.
St Bridget's Church
The first Catholic Church in Eaglesham was situated on the site of Montgomery Street Churchyard. When the Presbyterian faith was adopted in 1560 there was an interval of 300 years until St Bridget's Church was founded in 1858.
Sorry, but we have no upcoming events for The Eaglesham Heritage Trail. If you know of an event taking place at The Eaglesham Heritage Trail or anywhere else in East Renfrewshire tell us about it
and we'll list it on the website, for free!