The RSE (Royal Society of Edinburgh) has launched its second annual summer events programme “Curious”, curated to make us think about the world around us.
Running from 7-30 August, the series will take place completely online, and will offer the chance to engage with some of the RSE’s Fellows, who are world leading experts. Topics will be as diverse as how robots learn to speak, what happens when we die, curing cancer and how the creatures that exist only in movies are given a voice.
This year’s programme includes ‘Tea and Talk’ events, a format inspired by the coffee house discussions of the Scottish Enlightenment where people would gather to debate issues of the day. The one-hour long sessions will take place at 3pm every day on Zoom and there are 25 in total to choose from. They are free to attend, but places are limited to facilitate an intimate experience for participants.
Some larger capacity events will also take place, with Baroness Ashton giving the RSE’s annual MacCormick lecture on the future of foreign policy, and a panel discussion with author Val McDermid about the representation of science in fiction.
Programme highlights include:
• We’ll all die one day, so let’s try to make sense of it - Professor Scott Murray FRSE, University of Edinburgh
• The sounds of movies, games, and TV series - Orfeas Boteas, Founder and CEO of Krotos studios and RSE Enterprise Fellow
• Breath and sleep workshop – Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
• Fact or fiction? Panel event with Lorna Dawson FRSE discussing the Val McDermid FRSE, Professor Niamh Nic Daéid FRSE and Professor representation of science within fiction.
• Saving the oceans with law and science - Professor Marcel Jaspars FRSE, University of Aberdeen
• Menstrual health: still taboo? Are we making progress? - Professor Hilary Critchley FRSE, University of Edinburgh
Events will take place every day during the three-week run. You can view the full line up and book your place through our website link above.
While we take every opportunity to ensure the details for Curious: The RSE Online Summer Programme are accurate, we always advise that you contact the event organiser before setting out for the event to avoid disapointment. All information (whether in text or photographs) is given in good faith but should not be relied upon as being a statement of representation or fact.
Core Glow's Meditation, Dynamic and Heart-centred Meditation & Healing Workshop is a fully interactive introduction into the mechanics of meditation, dynamic meditation and healing for self & others.
Join anatomist and social historian Charlie Guy and explore the fascinating world of the Victorian dead at this online Halloween talk for Friend of the Cemetery!
Whether you're preparing to start a new community group or are running a registered charity, VAER can help you achieve your goals! Join them for their Organisational Support drop in session!